World recognition in the semi-finished product market:
- Installed production capacity of 7.5 million tons of steel/year;
- Total sales of 2.6 million tons of slabs and 2.1 million tons of hot coils in 2010;
- Responsible for 8% of the global volume of steel slabs traded;
- Since start-up in 1983 ArcelorMittal Tubarão has sold approximately 85 million tons of slabs; 93% of them on the external market;
- Client portfolio of over 60 companies (30 countries).
One of the biggest companies in Brazil:
- 3rd biggest Brazilian producer in 2010 (18% of the national steel production);
- More than 4,500 direct employees.
Manufacturer of choice for productivity and quality:
- Quality focused management and strategic location allow ArcelorMittal Tubarão to have one of the lowest steel production cost in the world;
- 100% of slabs produced by continuous casting since 1998;
- Diversified production since 2002 with the HSM start-up which has a production capacity of 40 million tons/year aimed at the domestic market;
- Exclusive products helped the consolidation of the company as a manufacturer of choice for quality semi-finished steel products for the automotive industry;
- ISO 9001-2000 Quality Assurance System since 1996;
- ISO 14.001 certified Environmental Management System since 2001;
- OHSAS 18001certified Health and Safety Management System since 2005.
Sustainability oriented strategy:
- Performance indicators for Health and Safety among the best in the world. Accident frequency rate of 0.6% in the last five years for both own and contractors' personnel;
- Total investments of over US$ 750 million in equipment and environmental control systems made the company a benchmark for environmental performance indicators;
- Self-sufficiency in electrical energy since 1998, producing 112% of the energy needed for production from process gas recovery and no combustible oil consumption;
- One of the lowest fresh water industrial consumption due to high recirculation index - reaching 97.3% in 2010;
- One of the highest production process residues reuse index - reaching 99.4% in 2010;
- The first steel producer in the world to trade carbon credits according to the Kyoto Protocol - in 2009;
- Started in 2006 the operation of the Ocean Barges Terminal transporting hot rolled coil by sea. Each ocean barge transports 9.5 thousand tons, corresponding to 300 trucks less circulation on the roadways of the country, which represents a reduction of 100 thousand tons/y in CO2 emissions.