Work Safety and Health Policy
To consolidate the operational and technological excellence through production stability, reducing processes variability and ensuring the assimilation of values such as EMPLOYEES AND THIRD PARTIES SAFETY AND HEALTH by the elimination or minimization of safety and health risks and the environmental impacts of the operation, meeting quality requirements for the products and services demanded from the internal clients consolidating the routine management model.
For such, ArcelorMittal Tubarão adopts the following principles:
- To search for the continuous improvement of the Health and Safety Management not only in the occupational aspect but also in quality of life, education, qualification and employees' commitment, involving the families, third party companies, suppliers and other stakeholders.
- To meet the current legislation requirements applicable to the company regarding safety and health and other related requirements to which the company abides by.
- To include health and safety beliefs in the operational standards, thus regulating production conditions, identifying risks to safety and health from each activity as well as their respective controls and the applicable individual protection equipment.
- To make each person performing an activity responsible for the compliance with the standards which regulate the activity. However, such condition does not exclude the need to evaluate the risks to man's safety and health before performing any activity so as to identify and report to the immediate superior the occurrence of any anomaly. The non-compliance to such measure subjects the person performing the task to the applicable rules and regulations.
- To ensure that the people performing the activities understand and agrees with the standards for these activities and when reporting anomalies are encouraged to forward proposals to solve these anomalies.
- To consider a managerial responsibility, in its several levels, the treatment and release to the interested parts of the action plan and/or treatment given to the anomalies, as well as the management of the company's entire Safety and Health System, which means to plan, organize, run, coordinate and control all the actions related to the system, never dissociating them from their technical, operational and managerial responsibilities.
- To ensure that collective rights are prevail over individual rights. Every person performing an activity is responsible for their actions, their own safety, their colleagues' safety and the company's assets, thus being prepared to perform their activities using all the required equipment and under the appropriate physical and mental conditions.
- To ensure to every person performing any activity the right to refuse or interrupt the activity if, after applying the risk assessment methodology, the person identifies a situation of serious or imminent risk. The procedure is to report the anomaly and being that the case propose solutions; the activity shall only be restarted after the adoption of control measures (blocking, or elimination of below standard conditions).To make every manager responsible for providing the appropriate environment for the employee's commitment to the principles herein established.
Serra-ES - June, 2005
José Armando de Figueiredo Campos, CEO